Live chat & video widget is a feature that allows your customers to start a conversation with you with just one click - directly from your website or app.
You can decide if you want to have chat-only conversations or allow customers to start a video call as well. All the live chat cases are handled with your Vicodo dashboard - exactly like regular meetings.
How to set up live chat & video widget
If your page is built on WordPress, you can use our plugin to install the Live chat & video widget in just a few clicks. For details, read this article.
- Go to the Widget section in the Integration settings.
- At the top of this section, you will see the Enable widget option. Click on the slider to activate it:
- Go to the Integration tab:
- Here you will see the code needed to integrate the live chat with your website or application. You can find it at the top of this section:
To add the widget to your site, you need to copy the code and paste it inside the body section - for example, right before the </body> tag.
If you want the live chat to be available on many subpages (for example, both on vicodo.com/contact and vicodo.com/blog), you need to repeat this step for every subpage.
- In the next step, you can enter your whitelisted domains. If you decide to use this option, your live chat widget will only be displayed on the sites that are listed there.
What is the purpose of the whitelist? Once you set up the live chat on your website, every visitor will be able to see the code that you used (for example, by using the inspect element feature in their browser). If you want to make sure that the widget works only on your website (even if someone copies its code), we strongly recommend whitelisting your site.
You can do that by entering your domain address into the whitelist in the Global settings tab. Do not include the https:// or www prefixes or the full subpage path (the address that comes after the slash / symbol). Remember not to put " / " at the end of address.
Example: We want to display the widget on Vicodo’s contact subpage. Its full address is https://www.vicodo.com/contact. However, here we only need the domain address - so the whitelisted address will be vicodo.com.
If you want to display the widget on more than one domain, click on the + Add domain button and enter another address.
Example: We want to display the widget both on https://www.vicodo.com/contact and https://www.vicodo.com/blog. In this case, we do not need to enter two addresses since both sites are a part of the same domain - vicodo.com.
However, if we wanted to enable the live chat on https://www.vicodo.com/contact and https://www.examplesite.com/livechat, we would need to enter two domain names - vicodo.com and examplesite.com.
If you do not want to use the whitelist feature, skip this step.
- When you add Vicodo live chat to your site, your customers will be able to open the widget by clicking the icon in the left or right bottom corner. However, you can also allow your customers to open it by clicking your custom link - for example, a “Talk to us” button in your support center.
To do that, copy the code from the Do you want to open the chat via link? section and add it as an onclick event to your link or button:
Remember to replace CLICK ME with your text or image.
And that’s it! You have now created a new first contact point for your visitors and customers and can start taking new cases. In the next article, you will find out how to personalize your live chat widget, add different languages, or adjust your operating hours.